Total Pageviews

Monday, March 23, 2015

Pickleball, 1st day of teaching

Make sure you are continually directing your voice to the biggest volume of the room, using the most advantageous position.
Unfortunately, when partners are throwing balls to each other for drilling, care has to be taken so that the throws are effective. I find sometimes I have to stop class for that as much as for general skills discussion. I've tried to impress upon the students myself about the importance of a good throw, sometime to no avail.
Also, with regards to throwing to the partners, make sure they step to the correct foot when they throw. Hopefully, there'll be carryover to forehand shots.
Make sure the students know whether you will rotate them or give them a specific number upon which they'll switch roles. I used to announce switches. I've gone to letting the students count and switch.
Students need to hear the importance of  the hips and legs with throwing and striking movements. Draw parallels with other similar movements.
With mass substitutions, make sure that all students have played, by asking those sitting out.

No comments:

Post a Comment